Permit Application Guidelines

CONSTRUCTION PLANS must be drawn by a homeowner or licensed architect. If drawn by an architect, the plans must be signed and sealed. It is illegal for builders to draw construction plans. Two copies of construction plans must be provided to the Building Department for review. One copy will be returned to the applicant. A homeowner drawing their own plans must check part “B” on the inside of the CPA folder and sign the affidavit below on the inside of the CPA folder or their plans may not be accepted for review. It is illegal for contractors to draw construction plans as they are not licensed or insured to do so.

 *APPLICANTS, Please note:

*Electrical and Plumbing work may be performed by the homeowner if he or she lives in the house. If he or she hires contractors, rents the residence, or if the work is performed on a commercial property, licensed electricians and plumbers must perform the work and they must provide their license numbers and sign and seal the electrical and plumbing applications.

All permits require a CPA folder and small Construction Permit, unless the application is to update an existing permit. For updates, no CPA folder is required; a “Permit Update” application is required instead of the “Construction Permit.” Permit applications cannot be faxed.

To view sample copies of the application forms, visit the state Division of Codes and Standards.  Please be advised that copies of these forms are not acceptable as part of the construction application. Applicants must provide the original form with their application. Applications are available in the Building Department. Different forms and their uses are listed below.

Applications listed below in bold print are provided by the Building Department.

Everything else listed must be provided by the applicant (i.e. surveys, construction plans and brochures) as required by the Building Department.

The Identification, Technical Site Data, and Cost of Work must be filled out on all applications. Applicant must provide Block & Lot, which can be found on a tax bill, property deed, utility bill, recent survey or from the Tax Department.

Applications must be appropriately signed, as well as the inside cover of the CPA folder.

Permit application guidelines & document requirements:

ADDITION:       Building Subcode application

Electrical Subcode application

Plumbing Subcode application (only for plumbing/heating)

Fire Subcode application (only for smoke detectors for new bedrooms)

Construction Permit & CPA folder

Survey showing proposed addition & setbacks to property lines

(2) sets of construction plans drawn by homeowner or architect only. Construction plans must show construction materials, foundation & framing plans, existing and proposed floor plans with the rooms labeled, electrical information, plumbing schematic, heating system must be specified, door and window locations.


Note: if a home has a septic, the Health Department must be consulted if the applicant intends to increase the total number of bedrooms, in order to determine whether the existing septic system is adequate or needs an upgrade. 

 DECKS:            Building Subcode application

                        Construction Permit & CPA folder

                        Survey showing location of deck and distance to property lines,

(2) copies of construction drawings, drawn by homeowner.



BASEMENT:     Same applications as for addition. Construction plans must show materials being used, lighting and ventilation for each room, rooms must be labeled, venting for furnace room.

 GARAGE:         Detached garage, same application & building/zoning guidelines as for shed.

Attached garage, treat as addition (as per building, zoning, application.) May need electrical permit. Plumbing and fire usually not required.

 NEW HOME:    Same application as for addition, with all subcodes.

Also required are (2) sealed engineering plans for driveway and grading.

Applicant must provide two copies of construction plans showing elevations, floor plans, electrical plans, plumbing schematic, and construction information. Architectural plans must be sealed.

POOLS:           Building Subcode application

                        Electrical Subcode application

                        Plumbing Subcode application, only if the pool will be heated

                        Fire Subcode application, for pool heaters

                        Construction Permit & CPA folder

                        Brochures for pool, filter & pump

                        Engineer certification required for inground pools

                        Pools must be in rear yard only, 10’ house and meet zoning setback          requirements.

Applicant must consult with Health Department about placement of pool.  Proper distance from their septic system

Fencing requirements: Above ground pools need a fence around the ladder area of the pool and must include a self-closing, self-latching gate that meets UCC codes. A removable ladder is insufficient for safety requirements. Inground pools require a fence around the pool or the yard, with a self-closing, self-latching gate. The fences must meet UCC regulations and be at least 4’ high. Ordinary Chain link fences do not usually comply.

Note: if a homeowner is performing their own electrical work, they must provide a wiring diagram for the electrical inspectors review.


ROOF/SIDING:  Building Subcode application

                        Construction Permit & CPA folder

NOTE: If there are no structural changes, roof/siding permits may be issued immediately.

SHED:  Permits for sheds are only required if shed is more than 100 sq. ft.

Same applications required as for deck. If shed is pre-fabricated, a brochure instead of construction plans is required. A survey is required showing size and location of shed. All sheds must be located in rear or side yards, a minimum of 15’ from property lines, 10’ from house. Maximum 16’ high. A shed larger than 200 sq. ft. requires a foundation. Larger than 100 sq. ft. will be assessed for taxes.

TANKS:            Plumbing and Fire Subcode for residential use only. Install & demo cannot be done on the same application if done by the same contractor. Two different contractors require two different applications. Tank removal requires a Building permit, tank installs require Plumbing and Fire Subcodes permits (two separate folders).

                        Construction Permit & CPA folder



  • CPA folder—required with all new permits, not updates. Identification section & block & lot must be filled out on front. The inside cover must be signed by agent or applicant. If homeowner will perform his or her own work (part C), draw their own plans (part B) or build a home for their own use (part A), they must sign affidavit on inside. The Health Department and Utility Department may be required to sign the inside cover for approval of pools, construction or Certificates of Occupancy.
  • Building Subcode Application—used for all construction work involving framing, sheetrocking, foundation work, etc., including but not limited t additions, new homes, decks, hot tubs, finished basements, sheds, roofing/siding, pools, radon systems.
  • Electrical Subcode Application —which must be sealed by licensed contractor* used for additions, new homes, electric service, pumps, alarm systems, radon, air conditioning systems, appliances, hot tubs, pools, etc.
  • Plumbing Subcode Application —which must be sealed by licensed contractor* used for new homes, some additions, water or sewer service connections, pool heaters, gas or oil piping, boilers, plumbing fixtures, heating systems, air conditioning, boilers, LPG tanks, etc.
  • Fire Subcode Application —for smoke detectors, fireplaces; also for commercial-use oil tanks, renovations/additions, mechanical systems, furnace, oil tanks, etc.
  • Construction Permit—required with all new permits. Summarizes work & fees.
  • Permit Update—used only for updates to issued permits. Same purpose as C.P.
  • Certificate—for use as Certificate of Occupancy or Approval.